Category Archives: Ukulele Arrangements
I was wondering why many of my young students were coming in and wanting to sing this classic song (originally from before I was born), but this helps explain it. This is a pretty easy one to learn using ‘level 3’ chords. Dr. Uke offers a song sheet here: http://www.doctoruke.com/canthelpfallinginlove.pdf
I recorded 5 more demos yesterday for my new book, The Haunted Ukulele:
- Halloween Carnival (an original!)
- The Haunted House (by Irving Berlin!)
- The Happy Cow Song (another original!)
- Hangman (my parody for kids on Tom Dooley)
- Old Roger (a circle game for kids from Great Britain)
Enjoy the entire Haunted Ukulele Playlist:
I was noodling around on my uke a few weeks ago when something started to sound familiar, “That’s Chopsticks.” So I took a few minutes and figured out the rest of the piece. The A-section is really easy and the B-section is a really great exercise for various double-stops (which I’ve included 2 different ways).
So here you go, the celebrated chopstick waltz:
- Chopsticks (PDF)
- Truth Eternal (PDF download) by Parley P. Pratt and Alexander Schreiner, arranged by M. Ryan Taylor.
This simple arrangement provides a fingerpicking and strum pattern that can be used on alternating verses or combined with two to three ukuleles (with the melody picked).
- Funiculi Funicula – Neapolitan (original) pdf with uke chords
- Funiculi Funicula (Italian) pdf with uke chords
One of the all-time most popular Neapolitan songs (an Italian dialect), performed by countless tenors across the globe, including the big three. A fabulous song, all about the funicular railway on mount Vesuvius and love, of course.
You can see and hear the original hymn at https://www.lds.org/music/library/hymns/the-spirit-of-god?lang=eng. The hymn has a long history, and was sung at the first LDS temple dedication in 1836. It is still sung today around the world in LDS congregations and at temple dedications.
Lyrics of the first verse and chorus:
The Spirit of God like a fire is burning!
The latter-day glory begins to come forth;
The visions and blessings of old are returning,
And angels are coming to visit the earth.
We’ll sing and we’ll shout with the armies of heaven,
Hosanna, hosanna to God and the Lamb!
Let glory to them in the highest be given,
Henceforth and forever, Amen and amen!
You can learn more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_God_Like_a_Fire_Is_Burning.
One of my favorite spirituals in a variety of different versions:
- Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel (pdf)
- Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel 2-part (pdf)
- Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel 2-part with Descant (pdf)
- Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel Choir Only (pdf)
“He delivered Daniel from the lion’s den . . . then why not every man?”
This parody of “There is a Tavern in the Town” is another of my Halloween favorites: